Friday, January 23, 2009

To trade death for life

So I've seen these shirts around that say "To Write Love On Her Arms". Because inquiring minds want to know, I decided to Google it (my answer to all things lately haha). Anyways, TWLOHA is an organization that helps people who believe they have no hope and are struggling with depression, addiction, etc. They basically take these people who even rehab centers won't touch and love them for 5 days before sending them to a center. For those 5 days they share God's love and hope with them and show them that there are people who care about them, but more specifically that there is One Person who cares about them. The first thing I realized from reading this story is that I want God's love to show through me. I often have a hard time loving people who seem different from me or even that I just don't know very well. I'm praying that God will give me His compassion and mercy.
Besides that, as I was reading the story behind the name of the organization and the first person they helped, one particular part of it really reached out to me.
"She hands me her last razor blade, tells me it is the one she used to cut her arm and her last lines of cocaine five nights before. She's had it with her ever since, shares that tonight will be the hardest night and she shouldn't have it. I hold it carefully, thank her and know instantly that this moment, this gift, will stay with me. It hits me to wonder if this great feeling is what Christ knows when we surrender our broken hearts, when we trade death for life."
I really love this illustration. We as humans are so broken and run down before we give everything to Christ. We constantly do harm to ourselves (although not always physically)because it is the only thing we know. We have no idea that there is something so much better out there. A life blessed by God's mercy and grace and purpose in Him. It reminds me of something my youth pastor talked about in a class we're doing. It seems so ridiculous to us, but when we become slaves to Christ we gain all the freedom in the world. That's always been so interesting to me because it goes against everything we as humans think. Many are afraid to come to Christ because they think they "won't have any fun anymore". But that's not it. As our speaker at Winter Rush said, it's not about pulling the weeds out of the garden, it's about growing the roses. (That was probably a bunch of scattered thoughts thrown together that didn't make any sense to you but they all connected somehow in my mind hahaha.)
Additionally, it's not enough to give Him a part of us. If she had only given him one of her razors but held on to another it would've showed that she actually thought that her way ultimately was better and she couldn't completely trust his way. I do that all the time. You can have this and this, but not that. I don't trust You that much. But I'm not fooling Christ. He knows. Humans are so funny. If we had any intelligence at all we would know that if we could trust anyone with everything it would be the One who created it all. But because we're too dumb to grasp that (or I am a lot of times anyway) He waits patiently as we hand over Him our razors, to trade death for life.

2 comments:

Frank and Teen said...

Okay, I gave you the award again! I don't know if that means you have to do it twice or what, but hey, at least you get the award twice!=) Hope you have a good week!!

Kris

Jenn said...

I love you! and the example you lead in our youth department. What insightful words...words that take many of us years and years to even begin thinking about. I am truly blessed to know you.