Saturday, January 3, 2009

What's in a name?

I decided that maybe I should explain the title of my blog. When I created the blog I couldn't think of anything else, so I fell back on my nickname. I realized it might seem strange to anybody who doesn't know the story, so I thought I'd share. It seems that I've always been drawn to strange nicknames. When I was a toddler I called myself "Dee-dah" (why, I don't know) and it caught on for a while. When my first niece was born we realized that she also might have trouble saying my name so maybe "Dee-dah" could return as her name for me. She had other ideas. Of all the words she could have made out of "Melody", she made "Mammy". Well, actually at first I think it was "Memmy" but over the years it ended up as "Mammy". Of course, as you might guess, the name has raised some questions over the years. One time Kendra said my name in front of a woman...of a different race and she kind of blew up and told us how inappropriate that was and that that child was quite big enough to say my full name. Which she was. But who am I to tell my niece what she can or cannot call me? *shrug* Anyways, the name caught on. Now all my family and half the church calls me "Mammy", although most of my friends at school don't know about it and there's always a long explanation when they're around my family. Lol.

0 comments: