Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why mediocrity?

Question. Why do we settle for mediocrity and complacency? Why is it so much easier to just be like everybody else, accomplish the same as everyone else? I watched some people today, thinking about how they could be and do so much more if they would just push themselves. If they would get past the laziness and realize they could do something great far above this tiny town. I'm not excluding myself from this, by the way. There's so much I could do but I don't. Won't make myself. It's just a shame that we don't live to our potential.
That's not to say that there's anything wrong with staying here and everything. I fully plan on coming back. It's just that I wish people would see how much than could do. How much God really has given them.
I guess a large part of this post is me reminding myself how much I can do. I'm trying to discern God's will about college because I'm a control freak and I want my plan now. I'm afraid that I won't make myself leave for college like I think I should. I'm afraid I'll be too afraid. Lol. I hate fear. Fear to take a chance. Fear to be more. Fear to take a leap of faith. Fear to trust Him. I hate that it controls so much of our lives and our decisions.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Mammy, you are so smart...
Why? because it is safe. Ah safety. You know what safety has gotten me...here I sit bleary eyed in fromt of a computer searching for scholarships while my family sleeps...why? Beacuse 11 years ago when I should have gone ahead and gotten my Master's Degree, I settled. You probably already know that we pray that God will give you dicernment, but now I pray that you will jump in and go for it! Just dont forget to wear a bathing suit, those ivy leaguers frown upon nakedness :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey, that was right on! It is hard to think about what we COULD do if we applied ourselves. It is always important to never let anyone tell you, you can't do something because of where you live or where you have been. Those things just shape us. Keep on pushing yourself to be great. God will honor that.

Melody said...

thanks for the encouragement, guys! holly, thanks for keeping me in your prayers. it's awesome to know i have a great family - immediate and church. and thanks for the tip on nudity. i'll keep than in mind. lol.